Monday, August 16, 2010

My Facebook Response

This is a comment I posted on Facebook. It is in response to my friends brother who disagrees with gay marriage and has views that I strongly disagree with. His post that I am responding to offended me and hurt me deeply. I will post the entire Facebook conversation in my next blog posting in case anyone wants to know more of what is going on and what my facebook response is talking about.


Nick, I also apologize for my lengthy comment…



I don't know you or what you have been through in your life and I can respect differences. But to come out and blatantly tell people that they are wrong and that their own spiritual experiences don't mean anything because they don't match yours is not Christ like. My experiences were very much like Blake’s. I was raised in the LDS church. I am a firm believer in God. I am also a gay man. I have prayed over the “issues” and have received my unmistakable revelation from God that I am making the right choices in my life. That is fine if your own personal revelation is different than mine, but don’t tell me that my revelation is not true, inferior to yours, and doesn’t mean anything. Don’t tell me to pray harder for the “right” answer. I have already received it regarding these topics. But above all, DO NOT insult MY relationship with God. Do not insult these people’s personal beliefs (whether they are similar to or different than yours). These people that you are commenting back to are good people. They live good lives. Do good things. It doesn’t matter that you don’t agree with them on a spiritual level (or any level for that matter). The fact is, whatever they do is between them and God. God knows why people do the things they do. We as imperfect beings do not.


It seems like your objective here is to convert people. The only true way to bring people to Christ is live by example. Not try and force your beliefs on other people. What you are doing is not sharing the gospel. In fact, this is what turns people away-The intolerance, the negativity, the lack of acceptance, love, and support. I know active members of the LDS faith whose morals, views, and beliefs are very different than yours. I know families who accept their children and want to see them happy no matter what they believe in (including gay marriage!). This is all so much bigger than us. I honestly believe that we were put on this earth to be tested. But it’s not the test that you think. It’s a test of acceptance and love. To gain the ability to accept differences. To love unconditionally no matter what the circumstances.


And as for your sister Jen-she is one of the kindest most caring people I have ever met. You are not the only person who cares about Jen’s well being and happiness. All these people commenting care very deeply for her. You being her brother should want for her happiness. Not what you think (or “know”) will make her happy, but what she for herself wants and will make her happy.


Not only will I pray for more revelation, protection, loved ones, government leaders, and express gratitude; but I will also pray for open mindedness, love for all, acceptance for all, and equality for all. Our nation was founded because of inequalities. There was oppression. There was injustice. It was built on separation of church and state. To allow everyone to believe, worship, and work to build a better life.

No comments: